Hello to all mommies! My name is Annabel Strickland. I am raising a 2-year-old son and studying to be a nutritionist. Not only adults but also the toddlers need special skincare products. Why?
A baby’s skin has regular contact with diapers that leads to various inflammation and diaper rash causes. Even high-quality diapers cannot absorb the liquid immediately. They cannot guarantee total dryness and full protection against moisture. To ensure proper care and protect your baby’s skin from diaper dermatitis, it is necessary to use diaper cream. They can vary with the list of ingredients and the effectiveness of each product. Some ointments can help immediately, but they leave greasy stains, some are made of only natural ingredients, and some contain zinc oxide.
How to Help Your Baby?
List of the Best Diaper Rash Creams
1. Aquaphor Diaper Rash Cream
The diaper rash cream of Aquaphor is aimed to treat a rash that appears after diapers on the baby’s skin. This cream won’t cause an allergy reaction on the skin of your baby. It doesn’t contain any chemical preservatives that can be harmful to kids, such as dyes or perfumes.
The balm has a nice creamy texture and a natural flower smell. The cream absorbs within a minute. It moisturizes baby’s skin and makes it soft. My baby’s diaper rash was gone after the second applying. It is a bit pricey, but it has helped my baby efficiently. I think the effect undoubtedly pays off. You can use this cream regularly before every change of the diapers.
Best Diaper Rash Cream 2017
I would note the effectiveness and the natural ingredients of the cream. You can try the ointment on your scrapes, and you will notice that they heal quicker. Another good point is that you need just a small amount of cream to see the effect. It will help you for months.
Why it is arguably the best cream for diaper rash:
- For baby’s dry, chapped, irritated skin and teething or drool rash; Relieves diaper rash within 6 hours
- Clinically proven to restore smooth, healthy skin
- No chemical preservatives
- Absorbs well
- Treat the rash
- High price
2. Desitin Diaper Rash Cream
I used Baby Diaper Rash Cream with 40% Zinc Oxide by Desitin when my baby got a terrible diaper rash, and nothing could remove it. This cream by Desitin is designed to protect the baby`s skin by creating a barrier to heal the rash and to soothe the skin. It helps to prevent the diaper rash. But it has a strong smell. However, it helped to treat any diaper rash my baby had. The cream is hypoallergenic; it is paraben-free, phthalate-free, dye-free, and non-soap. One tube of this cream will be in use for a long time. It is suitable for daily use.
- 4-ounce tube of Desitin Maximum Strength Diaper Rash Paste with 40% zinc oxide works on contact to treat and prevent diaper rash discomfort
- Rich, thick diaper rash cream is formulated with 40% maximum-level zinc oxide and is clinically shown to protect baby's skin for upto 12 hours
- Heal diaper rash
- Protect the baby's skin from the rash
- Long-lasting in use
- Have a strong smell
3. Aveeno Diaper Rash Cream
I liked the Soothing Relief Moisture Cream by Aveeno from the first time I tried it. If your baby has allergic spots that are very bright, you should use a hormonal ointment. But you can use it to treat peeling, slight redness, reduce itching and moisturize the skin. It is a fragrance-free cream that contains no perfumes. As we know that perfume may irritate skin and cause allergy.
The cream texture isn’t too liquid and not too thick. It’s very comfortable to put on, and all you need is just one drop. It soothes and moisturizes the baby’s skin very well. The main drawback is the ingredients, such as mineral oil, methylparaben, propylparaben, and ethylparaben. If you are looking for a paraben-free product, it is not.
- 8-ounce tube of Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Moisturizing Cream to help soothe and hydrate your baby's delicate skin
- From the pediatrician-recommended brand, this moisturizing cream is specially formulated for babies and is steroid-, phthalate- and paraben-free
- Smoothing and moisturizing well
- Long-lasting in use
4. Cream for Baby Diaper Rashes by A&D
The main ingredients of the cream by A&D are lanolin and petrolatum. The cream creates a barrier that keeps the skin of your baby protected against bacteria on the diaper. It doesn’t contain zinc oxide element. It can be helpful for babies with an allergy to zinc. It works effectively against minor diaper rashes. You can use it to prevent rash.
This is arguably the best cloth diaper safe diaper rash cream because it is not as sticky as many other products. The cream is economical. You need just a small amount of it. You can clean it off easily, but it can be rather tricky. The weak point of the product is a strong smell that not every person will enjoy.
- Pediatrician recommended: A plus D original ointment is a top choice among baby diaper rash products recommended by pediatricians
- Treats and prevents diaper rash: Lanolin and petrolatum combine to help seal out wetness and prevent diaper rash for your precious baby
- Creates a good protective barrier
- Good for sensitive skin
- Cleans off easily
- Strong smell
- Thick (if you don't like it)
5. Baby Diaper Rash Cream from Boudreaux
The leading ingredient of the cream by Boudreaux’s Butt Paste is 40% oxide of zinc that is supposed to be the most powerful element of treating diaper issues. The aim of the ointment is treating the rash and preventing it.
The product does not contain any harmful chemical ingredients, such as parabens, talcs, or fragrances. The creamy texture makes it comfortable in use. It creates a thick protective barrier between the diaper and the baby’s skin that keeps the skin soft and kills all the bacteria.
This paste helped me when no other treatment couldn`t battle a terrible rash on my baby. You can even apply it on sensitive skin. However, it was hard to remove the rest of the cream from the clothes since it appeared to be sticky. You will feel a strong mint smell while using it, and not everyone can enjoy it.
- Boudreaux's Maximum Strength Butt Paste contains 40 percent zinc oxide, 2x more rash fighting power than Original Butt Paste; Zinc Oxide is FDA recognized ingredient proven to treat and help prevent diaper rash; Boudreaux's Maximum Strength Butt Paste starts healing on contact and ideal for moderate to severe diaper rash
- No harsh ingredients: Free of Dye, Paraben, Preservative, Phthalate, and Talc; Made with 6 simple ingredients designed to be effective in kicking diaper rash but gentle on babies' skin
- Treats the rash
- No parabens
- No fragrances
- Suitable for delicate skin
- Easy in use
- Strong peppermint smell
6. Baby Diaper Rash Creams by Weleda
The cream from Weleda has a good natural ingredient list. It contains no chemical preservatives, such as parabens, mineral oils, or any synthetic ingredients. The cream has a nice natural smell, and it is suitable for even the most sensitive skin. The product has a pleasant natural smell which is not too strong. It works nicely against a minor diaper rash, but I saw the effect only after the second application.
The good news is that the cream won’t create any greasy stains on the clothes. The cream`s texture is thick, and it creates a barrier between the skin and the diaper. The weak point of the cream is the tube. It is made of aluminum. In my case, I got small holes in the container after a month of usage. In general, the product is economical, but the troubles with the tube may ruin the opportunity to keep it for a long time.
- Contains 1 - 2.8 Ounce Diaper Rash Cream
- Cares for delicate skin of the diaper area. Soothes skin and diminishes the appearance of redness while supporting baby’s skin.
- Organic ingredients
- No chemical preservatives
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- The thick structure
- Mild natural smell
- An aluminum tube that breaks down after a while
- Thick (if you don't need it)
7. Diaper Rash Cream Honest Co
The cream of The Honest Co is based on natural ingredients that treat and recover the damaged skin. The leading ingredient of this product is non-nano zinc oxide. It is a newly-invented element treating diaper rash. The cream is also filled with natural oils, such as shea butter, natural jojoba oil, and coconut oil.
It’s one of the best antifungal creams for diaper rash since zinc oxide fights against bacteria and fungus. At the same time, the oils help to recover the skin, and they moisturize it effectively. The cream is non-allergic, but you need to know the individual peculiarities of your baby. The cream`s texture is thick. It creates a strong barrier between the skin and the diaper of your baby. The smell is rather natural and mild. It works efficiently against the first symptoms of diaper rash. It is not sticky and cleans off easily.
Why it is the best diaper rash cream 2018:
- Forms a protective barrier on baby's skin to provide relief and soothe irritated skin Helps reduces the duration and severity of diaper rash when applied at the first signs of redness Organic sheaf butter, jojoba, tamandua, and coconut oils help moisturize and nurture skin
- Non-nano zinc oxide helps reduce and prevent redness and symptoms of inflammation
- Natural oils in the ingredient list
- Natural smell
- You can clean it off easily
- Rather thick (if you don't like it)
- It only prevents diaper rash
8. Best Cream for Diaper Rash from Earth Mama
The organic balm from Earth Mama is a diaper rash ointment that is made of organic ingredients. There are no parabens, petroleum, or any fragrances. The balm contains organic calendula extract that helps to treat and prevent diaper rash. The texture of the lotion is smooth and creamy.
This ointment works perfectly. It contains only organic ingredients. The balm is exceptionally useful and it can be used on cuts and burns as well. After this balm, my baby’s skin was soft and moisturized. The balm smells nice and natural, but the smell is rather strong. There is no sticky residue after this balm on the baby’s skin. The peppermint leaves a cooling effect on the skin. It is suitable for a regular diaper change. It absorbs well.
- Earth Mama’s Organic Balm is now 100% USDA Certified Organic, made with ethically sourced organic beeswax that’s been gathered in a bee-centric manner
- Organic herbal ingredients traditionally used to help comfort and soothe diaper area and skin
- Made of natural organic ingredients
- Treats and prevents diaper rash
- Doesn`t contain zinc
- No sticky residue after applying
- Can be used daily
- Absorbs well
- Strong smell
9. Burts Bee Diaper Rash Cream
Burts Bee cream is based on zinc oxide, which is 40%. Zinc oxide is the key element in diaper rash treatment products. The cream is filled with natural additions, such as almond oil. We know that almond oil is good for moisturizing skin. The other organic ingredients that the cream contains are shea butter, lavender oil, and jojoba oil. There are no parabens or the other chemical preservatives that can damage sensitive skin.
The cream`s texture is silky and smooth. One of the good features of the cream is that it is not sticky like any other diaper rash cream. The price may seem rather high, but the natural ingredients and the quick effect from this product make it look reasonable. You can use a tube of the cream for a month doing a regular diaper change. To use it effectively, you will need just a few small drops.
A bad feature of the cream is that it leaves grease stains. You will need to be careful while applying it and try to cover only the damaged skin.
- BABY DIAPER OINTMENT: Treat and prevent diaper rash in a safe, effective and natural way with this ointment that leaves baby bottoms soft and dry.
- SOOTH SKIN: Made with 40% Zinc Oxide and Sweet Almond Oil, this maximum strength ointment helps calm and protect irritated skin against moisture.
- Natural oils in the ingredient list
- No chemical preservatives
- Thin application
- Not sticky
- Leaves stains
10. Balmex Diaper Rash Cream
This rash ointment from Balmex with zinc oxide has a thick texture. It is suitable for both preventing and treating diaper rashes. It has a nice smell, even containing zinc. The ointment is good for regular use. This cream is long-lasting since you need just a small amount of it. It battles diaper rash efficiently, and it is affordable.
- Treat the Rash: From diaper rash to chafed skin, Balmex Complete Zinc Oxide Protection Diaper Rash Cream protects, soothes and heals your baby. Goes on smoothly and it’s easy to remove
- Complete Protection: This easy-to-apply cream, made with zinc oxide, protects against diaper wetness and skin chaffing, and proven botanicals like evening primrose neutralize rash-causing irritants
- Treat and prevent diaper rash efficiently
- Nice non-zinc smell
- Long-lasting in use
- Suitable for a regular diaper change
- Very thick
11. Hypoallergenic Diaper Rash Cream by Mustela
Mustela’s Diaper Rash Cream helps to prevent diaper rash and to treat the irritation that appears in the diaper area. It works gently and effectively. It is rather pricey. For my baby, it took one time, and the rash was close to being gone. It includes such ingredients as avocado perseose and zinc oxide. It is hypoallergenic and paraben-free.
Why it is one of the best diaper rash creams for babies:
- Works from the first application
- Prevents and treats diaper rash efficiently
12. Diaper Rash Cream Yeast Protective from Motherlove
You will not find zinc oxide, which is quite a common ingredient for diaper rashes in the cream of Motherlove. Zinc oxide is one of the most common ingredients for diaper rash ointments, and it is difficult to find alternative ways of treatment diaper rash issues. This diaper balm has antifungal and antibacterial effects based on organic ingredients only. It will be suitable for sensitive skin and is supposed to be non-allergic.
The cream`s texture is silky. The cream is rather economical, so you won’t have to buy it too often. It has a nice natural smell instead of a typical zinc one. The weak point of this product is its jar. It is not so convenient and hygienic to pick it up every time using your fingers.
The cream helped me immediately: it reduced the rash after the first application. If your baby has an allergy to zinc, this cream will be a good choice for you.
- PLANT-BASED FORMULA: Trusted and loved by generations of families and healthcare providers to help soothe irritation caused by diapers.
- SOOTHING RELIEF: Formerly known as Diaper Rash & Thrush, this balm is great for restoring yeast balance. Diaper Balm contains antifungal and antibacterial herbs that are gentle enough for even a newborn.
- No zinc oxide
- Organic ingredients
- Natural smell
- Silky texture
- A big jar that is not convenient in use
13. Best Diaper Rash Cream for Newborn from Cetaphil Baby
If you are seeking natural treatment of diaper rash, you should pay your attention to the cream by Cetaphil Baby that fights against already existing rash and prevents it.
It’s a natural diaper rash cream, so the components of the cream are organic. They are calendula extract, vitamin B5, and Vitamin E. It includes no chemical preservatives that can be very harmful to humans in general. You will see no parabens, dyers, or mineral oils in the list of the cream components. The cream would not cause an allergy. Anyway, you should know the individual allergic peculiarities of your baby. It will be suitable for delicate skin.
The rash on my baby had completely disappeared after several applications. The main ingredient of the cream is zinc oxide, but it is supposed to be the best way of treating such rashes. For more severe rashes, it would be better to have thicker creams. This product has a lotion texture, and it will be suitable for minor diaper rash.
- Dermatologist tested and formulated to be gentle enough for infant's skin
- Paraben free, Colorant Free, Mineral Oil Free, and Hypoallergenic
- No Parabens
- Appropriate for sensitive skin
- Lotion texture that is good only for minor case
14. Babyganics Diaper Rash Cream
This organic diaper rash cream by Babyganics contains zinc oxide, as well as aloe, calendula, and jojoba extracts. It is paraben-free and doesn`t contain any sulfates, mineral oils, or dyers. It is fragrance-free. The cream has a pleasant non-zinc smell. However, the extracts of aloe, calendula, or jojoba may cause an allergy reaction, in case if your baby has an allergy to one of them. The cream works, but it is quite expensive for daily use.
- Has a nice smell
- Contains allergic elements
15. Anti Fungal Diaper Rash Cream by Coloplast
The cream of the Coloplast has an antifungal effect and suitable for treating different types of diaper rash. The miconazole nitrate is the key ingredient that fights against bacteria and fungus. The cream has a thick texture that creates a protective barrier and treats the damaged skin. This product has a strong smell, but it fades after a while. It will be highly effective in cases when you live in a wet climate, and the warming effect causes terrible rashes on your baby.
The cream works efficiently against any rashes. After applying it to my baby, the fungus disappeared immediately. The price is low for such an efficient product. The cream is very economical. The creamy texture makes the product easy to apply, but it absorbs not so quickly.
- Provides a moisture barrier against urine and feces.
- Relieves and prevents the discomfort of diaper dermatitisin patients ranging from newborns to geriatrics.
- Removes fungus and bacteria
- Works effectively
- Strong perfume smell
- Absorbs not immediately
It can be difficult to find the right cream for your baby because each case is very individual. It is important to understand how the creams work. Let’s review some questions!
Why Do I Need Diaper Rash Creams?
A diaper rash cream will help your baby to feel comfortable while wearing diapers. I think it is a necessity to have a diaper rash cream at home in your first aid kit to protect your baby. The cream is aimed to battle the bacteria that irritate the diaper zone of your baby. It should make the skin of the baby dry and soft, killing all the bacteria on it.
What Causes Diaper Rash?
Dermatitis or a diaper rash may frequently appear on your baby’s bottom. The main causes are the diapers that become wet and full of bacteria. The unclear side of the diaper irritates the baby’s naturally delicate skin, and the rash may appear.
How Can I Identify Diaper Rash?
If your baby starts crying during changing diapers, you need to pay attention to the “diaper zone.” The zone where the diaper rashes appear is the “diaper zone” of genitals and tights. The rash commonly appears as red skin in the damaged zone. The skin may be bright red, but even the skin that is becoming red is a bad sign of an upcoming rash.
Homemade Diaper Rash Cream
You can create a cream for your baby by yourself. For that purpose, you will need to take some natural oils, zinc oxide powder, and beeswax in pastilles. You can avoid the beeswax and zinc powder since there is a wide choice of recipes that you can find online.
Best for Diaper Rash Cream– How to Choose the Right One?
The vulnerable skin of a baby is not able to withstand an aggressive external environment. A variety of ointments is a must for each parent. We need them to create the optimal state of the baby’s delicate tissues. They should absorb quickly and create a subtle barrier that protects the epidermis. Before purchasing, you should determine the requirements for baby’s care products. They may vary significantly in detail, but the basic parameters are the same:
- the minimum amount of synthetic substances;
- mild smell;
- fast absorption without greasy marks.
Choose the Best for your Baby
No doubt, parents want the best for their children. You always try to pick the products that contain only natural ingredients for your baby. The diaper rash cream is not an exception. Such cream is an essential component of the calm life of a baby. Its simple nature prevents itching, redness, and other unpleasant feelings that can disturb your child.
If it contains only natural ingredients, it is a good sign. However, it cannot prevent a sudden allergy to such components. To avoid troubles, I would recommend reading the ingredient list carefully, paying attention to each detail.
It is critically important to watch carefully how the reaction on the treatment plays out. Every baby will react to various ingredients differently. So, refer to other feedback, but be sure that you know the ingredients your baby can have a conflict with. Simple chamomile extract can be good for one child but cause itching for another. Be patient and think twice before applying such products.
I hope my list has been useful for you. Have you ever used diaper cream? What diaper rash cream did you choose? What components are crucial for you? Why? Let me know in the comments below!